Thursday 26 February 2015

How fancy should my Demonboard be?

Just another quick morning post.
More adventures in the Sword and Sorcery land of Kartharka are on the way!
Work on the campaign continues and I hope to get a few more of the campaign update articles up later today (fingers crossed!)
Work also continues on my own game, the roughs are in place, the plots are laid out, the enemies are, so so worked out (it would be quicker if I had already finished the veteran issue as their is a lot of stuff in there on the campaign side of things).
At the moment I have enough that I could wing it if neccessary but should have plenty of time to get everything together for next week.
If I had to calculate xp and treasure I'd be alot farther behind though....
I find myself a little torn when working on scenarios because:

  1. I want them to be runnable by anyone with simple at hand materials, with only a few moments notice
  2. But I also want them to be awesome, I've got a great pile of blocks, toys, and parts to pull from as well as lots of paints and brushes and a leaning towards such things so I want to do them up in high style!
I think in the end I'm going to end up actually running something that's in between, publishing the version that is most easily run by anyone in the books, and going back after and really prettying up the scenario set pieces for publishing on the website.

I don't want people to get the wrong idea that Lair is about gorgeous and lavish 3d dungeons, quite the opposite, the attitude we actually play with is more like pour out the toybox grab whatever works and get on with the scenario so the players can have fun.

I would suggest this for beginning players of Lair:

First just mark out the grid on some bristol board, do the same on for the card walls, don't bother with painting them just tape them together and get on with the game.

If you find yourself using it alot then think about upgrading to the painted version, It takes a bit more time but looks great.

Then as time goes by start making your demonblocks in batches, maybe 10 at a time. Use them for pillars, furniture, steps, and other features.

As you add more demon blocks to your collection you can start using them for walls as well, I used all card walls for a while and began swapping out more card walls for demonblocks as my collection grew. I love the look of the walls more than the blocks to be honest but the blocks do stay in place better so I bow to my players in that aspect.

More on the campaign and additional rules later today.
~Ripley

No comments:

Post a Comment